- Modeling and numerical analysis of granite rock specimen under mechanical loading and fire
- L.L.N. Mambou ; J-M. Ndjaka Bienvenu
- Book Title / Journal: Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering
- Year: 2015 , Volume: 7
- Rock Mechanics
- Keywords: Numerical Analysis ; granite rock ; internal strain ; fire loading
- The effect of ISO 834 fire on the mechanical properties of granite rock specimen submitted to uniaxial loading is numerically investigated. Based on Newton's second law, the rate-equation model of granite rock specimen under mechanical load and fire is established. The effect of heat treatment on the mechanical performance of granite is analyzed at the center and the ends of specimen. At the free end of granite rock specimen, it is shown that from 20 °C to 500 °C, the internal stress and internal strain are weak; whereas above 500 °C, they start to increase rapidly, announcing the imminent collapse. At the center of specimen, the analysis of the internal stress and internal strain reveals that the fire reduces the mechanical performance of granite significantly. Moreover, it is found that after 3 min of exposure to fire, the mechanical energy necessary to fragment the granite can be reduced up to 80%.