- Geotechnical Enginering Circular No 7: Soil Nail Walls, Reference Manual
- C.A. Lazarte ; H. Robinson ; J.E. Gomez ; A. Baxter ; A. Cadden ; R. Berg
- Book Title / Journal: Federal Highway Administration
- Year: 2015 , Series: NHI-14-007
- Retaining Walls ; Mechanically Stabilized Earth (MSE) Walls ; Earth Retaining Structures
- Keywords: soil nails ; soil nail wall design ; LRFD ; shotcrete
- This document presents information on the analysis, design, and construction of permanent soil nail walls in highway applications. The main objective is to provide practitioners in this field with sound and simple methods and guidelines that will allow them to analyze, design, construct, and inspect safe and economical structures. This document updates the information contained in FHWA0-IF-03-017 (Lazarte et al. 2003). The focus is on soil nailing techniques that are commonly used in U.S. practice. The contents of this document include: an introduction; chapters on applications and feasibility, construction materials and methods, information required for design, analysis and design of soil nail walls, corrosion protection; and chapters on contracting approach, technical specifications and design examples. This manual introduces a framework for the design of soil nail walls that takes into account factors of safety used in the ASD method while integrating LRFD principles.