- Differentiating Applications of Hydraulic Fracturing
- J. Adams ; C. Rowe
- Book Title / Journal: Effective and Sustainable Hydraulic Fracturing - Chapter 18
- Year: 2013
- Rock Mechanics ; Other Geotechnical
- Keywords: hydraulic fracturing ; rock stress measurements
- Hydraulic fracturing has received abundant media attention in recent years due to a rapid increase in the use of the technique in combination with horizontal drilling technology to produce oil and gas resources from tight reservoirs. Hydraulic fracturing techniques are also used in a variety of other applications that are unrelated to oil and gas production, including tunnel and dam construction, enhanced geothermal energy, carbon sequestration, groundwater remediation, block cave mining, rock burst mitigation, and water well development.
This paper characterizes a range of hydraulic fracturing applications in terms of the objectives, techniques, and potential for environmental concerns associated with the standard methods. A nomenclature that clearly differentiates discrete applications is presented that is intended to help prevent the lumping of all hydraulic fracturing techniques into a single basket.