Top 10 papers on Embankment Dams
Recommended list of publications on embankment Dams by David Rees Gillette, P.E., PhD, Bureau of Reclamation, Denver CO.
List originally compiled: June 2005 Latest update: May 2011
Comments of the author of the list are presented in italics.
- Casagrande, A. (1961), “Control of Seepage through Foundations and Abutment of Dam,” First Rankine Lecture, Geotechnique vol.11, no. 3, pp 159-182. Is there anything more important than foundation preparation?
- Houlsby, A.C. (1977), "Engineering of Grout Curtains to Standards," Journal of the Geotechnical Division, Proceedings of the American Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 103, No. GT9, pp. 953-970. One of relatively few good references I've seen on the practice of foundation grouting.
- Milligan, Victor, "Some Uncertainties in Dam Engineering," 38th Karl Terzaghi Lecture, Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, vol. 129, no. 9, pp.785-797. Excellent practical lessons from case histories.
- Peck, R.B. (1988), "The Place of Stability Analysis in Evaluating the Safety of Existing Embankment Dams," Civil Engineering Practice, Fall 1988, pp. 67-80. Everybody does stability analysis. But what does it mean?
- Seed, H.B., F.I. Makdisi, and P. de Alba (1978), "Performance of Earth Dams During Earthquakes," Journal of the Geotechnical Division, Proceedings of the American Society of Civil Engineers, Vol. 104, No. GT7, pp. 967-994. Review and analysis of case histories.
- Sherard, J.L. (1987), "Lessons from the Teton Dam Failure," Engineering Geology, vol. 24, pp. 239-256 and discussions that follow. Probably the single most important case history of a dam failure for us to learn about foundation treatment, site selection, and dam-safety "culture."
- Sherard, J.L. and J.B. Cooke (1987), "Concrete Face Rockfill Dam: I. Assessment," ASCE Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol. 113, No.10, pp. 1096-1112, and Cooke, J.B. and J.L. Sherard (1987), "Concrete-Face Rockfill Dam: II. Design," ASCE Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol. 113, No.10, pp. 1113-1132.
- Sherard, J.L. and L.P. Dunnigan, (1989), “Critical Filters for Impervious Soils," ASCE Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol. 115, No. 7, pp. 927-947. The basis for most modern filter criteria.
- Terzaghi, Charles, (1929), "The Effects of Minor Geologic Details on the Safety of Dams," Transactions, American Institute of Mining and Metallurgical Engineers, 215, pp. 31-44. Also known as Terzaghi, Karl.
- Terzaghi, K. and Y. LaCroix (1964), "Mission Dam: An earth and rockfill dam on a highly compressible foundation," Geotechnique, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 14-50. Fascinating case history of a dam constructed under very difficult conditions on a very difficult foundation.
Some others of note:
- Duncan, J.M., S. Wright, and K.S. Wong (1988), "Slope Stability During Rapid Drawdown", H.B. Seed Memorial Volume, pp. 253‑272.
- Lowe, J. III (1982), "Contributions of the Tarbela Dam Project to Hydro-Project Design," Second Annual USCOLD Lecture, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Marcuson, W.F. III, P.F. Hadala, and R.H. Ledbetter (1996), "Seismic Rehabilitation of Earth Dams,", ASCE Journal of Geotechnical Engineering, Vol. 122, No. 1, pp. 7-20.
- Middlebrooks, T.A. (1952), "Progress in Earth-Dam Design and Construction in the United States," Civil Engineering, September 1952.